Commonwealth legislation, along with NTGPASS Rules, specifies when you can access your superannuation. How you access your superannuation depends on your particular circumstances, such as whether you resign, retire, or permanently cease work due to ill health (permanent incapacity).

A condition of release must be met before preserved funds can be accessed. Common conditions of release are:

  • reaching your preservation age and not intending to work more than 10 hours per week; 
  • aged 60 or over and permanently retiring form the workforce.
  • retirement on the grounds of permanent invalidity; or
  • your death.


Some of your benefit may be non-preserved, and some (if not all) will be preserved. Preserved benefits include any superannuation contributions that you have made, or that have been made on your behalf, from 1 July 1999. Preserved benefits must remain in a superannuation fund until you meet a condition of release, such as reaching preservation age.

Preservation age is dependent on your date of birth as outlined in the following table. 

​Date of Birth ​Preservation Age
​Before 1/7/1960 ​55
Between 1/7/1960 - 30/6/1961​ 56​
Between 1/7/1961 - 30/6/1962​​ 57​
Between 1/7/1962 - 30/6/1963​​ 58​
Between 1/7/1963 - 30/6/1964​​ 59​
After 30/6/1964​ 60​

If you commenced employment prior to 1 July 1999, you may have a non-preserved component included in your benefit. When you cease NTPS employment the non-preserved component becomes available to you. Different tax rates apply when cashing a benefit under age 55 and under age 60.

To find out the approximate amount of your non-preserved benefit refer to your last member information statement or complete a Benefit Estimate Request.

Early Release

Early release of benefits may be allowed on the grounds of permanent incapacity.

Permanent incapacity

To be granted an early release of your retained superannuation benefit on permanent incapacity grounds, the trustee must be satisfied that:

  • you have ceased gainful employment (i.e. working less than 10 hours each week); and
  • you are unlikely, because of physical or mental ill health, ever again to engage in gainful employment for which you are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience.

Your application must be accompanied by written evidence as follows:

  • letter from a medical practitioner detailing your present condition and prognosis of your ability to ever again engage in gainful employment for which you are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience and;
  • a second letter from a specialist medical practitioner detailing your present condition and prognosis of your ability to ever again engage in gainful employment for which you are reasonable qualified by education, training and experience.
  • any other supporting documentation regarding your claim.

Opt out of NTGPASS and NTSSS

Active members may elect to opt out of NTGPASS and NTSSS once they reach preservation age. Eligible members who opt out will not need to resign from the NTPS to claim their NTGPASS and NTSSS superannuation benefits.

If you choose to opt out:

  • you will no longer be an active NTGPASS member and will no longer make compulsory NTGPASS member contributions of between 2 and 6 per cent of salary;

  • you will move from defined benefit superannuation arrangements to Choice of Fund (superannuation guarantee) arrangements. Your employing agency will make superannuation guarantee contributions to your nominated superannuation fund each pay day;

  • you must select a superannuation fund to receive your superannuation guarantee contributions and any salary sacrifice contributions. This cannot be NTGPASS; and

  • you can retain your superannuation benefits with NTGPASS or roll them over to another superannuation fund.


    Claiming Your Benefit  (Resignation, Age Retirement, Invalidity)

If you have ceased employment and are entitled to claim your benefit, you will need to complete the Benefit Claim Form - Defined Benefit. The link to this form is below. The form must be completed, signed and returned to the NT Superannuation Office along with the required identity documents. Commonwealth legislation requires superannuation funds to obtain certified identification from members wishing to claim their benefits. Further information about what documents can be provided, and who can certify them, is available on the fact sheet:

Proving your identity

Before claiming your benefit, you should consider seeking professional advice in regard to your options. You can obtain an estimate of your benefits by completing the Benefits Estimate Request form and returning it to our office. Please allow up to ten days for your estimate to be returned to you. If you would like us to discuss your benefit with someone in addition to yourself, such as your financial planner, please complete the form Authority to Release Information to a Third Party and return it to our office.

Your benefit will be processed within 30 days of receipt of all required information. In addition to your claim form and identity documents, we also require confirmation of your salary and leave details from your payroll section before we can commence processing your benefit.

 Benefit Claim Forms

Benefit Claim Form – Defined Benefit – NTGPASS
Benefit Claim Form – Retained Benefit – NTGPASS
Northern Territory Police Supplementary Benefit Scheme Benefit Claim Form

Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP)

People who worked in Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa can access superannuation accumulated in an Australian superannuation fund when they permanently leave Australia. This payment is known as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

You may be eligible to claim a DASP if you were a temporary resident with an eligible visa and worked for the Northern Territory public sector and are entitled to a benefit in the Northern Territory Government and Public Authorities’ Superannuation Scheme (NTGPASS) and/or the Northern Territory Supplementary Superannuation Scheme (NTSSS).

To be eligible for a DASP benefit, you must: 

  • have entered Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa which has since expired or been cancelled;
  • have permanently departed Australia (you cannot claim until you have departed); and
  • not be a citizen of New Zealand or Australia.

Temporary Resident Department Australia Payment Form