Who can apply?

You can apply for the $2000 Household Goods Grant if you;
  • are a first home buyer of a new home and are eligible for the first home owners grant, and
  • entered into a contract to purchase or build the new home on or after 1 September 2016, or
  • are an owner builder and commenced construction of the new home on or after 1 September 2016.

When can I apply?

If purchasing a new home you can apply upon settlement, or if you are building a new home, when the certificate of occupancy is issued.

How do I apply?

You can apply using the Household Goods Grant Scheme application form and guide F-HI-015 (docx, 100kb) available on the Territory Revenue Office (TRO) website available on the TRO website www.revenue.nt.gov.au

Where can I purchase the household goods?

The supplier of goods must be a Territory enterprise which satisfies all of the following:
  • Is operating in the Northern Territory - the enterprise is currently engaged in productive activities (i.e. production of goods or delivery of services) within the Territory.
  •  Has a significant permanent presence - the enterprise maintains an office, shop, manufacturing facilities or other permanent base within the Territory.
  •  Employs Territory residents - the enterprise employs Territorians. An enterprise which relies exclusively on transient, interstate / international labour or a fly-in, fly-out workforce will not satisfy this element.

What type of household goods can I purchase?

Household goods are general household items ordinarily found in a home.
Examples of household goods can include:
White or brown goods such as air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, ovens/cook tops, microwave ovens, televisions, vacuum cleaners, washer/dryers, stereos, toaster ovens, sewing machines, blenders, mixers, dishwashers, computers, coffee makers, fans, toasters, kettles, power tools.
Furniture items such as beds/bedframes, mattresses, desks, bookcases, wardrobes, cabinets, couches, sofas, sofa beds, chairs, tables, entertainment centres and outdoor settings.
Miscellaneous items such as kitchenware, soft furnishings, decorative and outdoor items, sheets, towels, cushions, irons and ironing boards, home medical equipment, mirrors, floor coverings, curtains, curtain rods, blinds, garden pots and plants, barbeques and garden tools.
If you are in doubt about whether an item you intend purchasing is an eligible household good, please contact the TRO at ntrevenue@nt.gov.au for confirmation prior to acquisition.

Can I purchase the household goods online or through a ‘party plan’ arrangement?

No, party plan operators and online retailers (except those that have a permanent presence in the NT) do not meet the criteria of a Territory enterprise.

Can I use the grant towards a home appliance package provided as part of my building contract?  

You cannot use the grant to make payment directly to the builder or construction company in respect of household goods that are incorporated in your building contract.
The grant may be paid if you are purchasing the household goods independently from your builder, subject to the transaction meeting the eligibly criteria.

Do I have to spend the full $2000 on household goods from Territory enterprises?

Yes, if you do not spend the total amount on household goods from Territory enterprises you will be required to repay the balance to the TRO.

Do I have to spend it all with one Territory enterprise?

No, you can make multiple purchases, but each must be made from a Territory enterprise and you must retain receipts for all.

How long do I have to spend the HGGS grant?

Supplier receipts totalling $2000 must be provided to the TRO within ninety (90) days of payment of the HGGS as evidence that the grant has been spent. 


How do I send my receipts to the TRO?

You can scan your receipts or take a photo on a mobile device (please make sure it is readable) and email to ntrevenue@nt.gov.au. Alternatively, you can post copies (please keep your original receipts) to TRO at PO Box 154 DARWIN NT 0801. Once received, we will send confirmation within five business days that no further action is required from you.

Do you have more questions?

Further details about the HGGS can be found on the Household Goods Grant Scheme application form and guide F-HI-015 (docx, 100kb) Alternatively, you can contact the TRO via email at ntrevenue@nt.gov.com.au or by telephoning on 1300 305 353.