This calculator gives an indication of the amount of stamp duty payable when you purchase a motor vehicle.
For assistance with using this calculator, please contact the Territory Revenue Office.
NOTE: The mathematical rounding performed by your PC or version of your browser may cause a small variance in the final figure.
Stamp duty is calculated on the dutiable value of the vehicle, at a rate of $3.00 per $100.00 or part thereof.
- In the case of an "arm's length" transaction (see below), the dutiable value is the sale price of the vehicle including accessories.
- If the purchaser has negotiated a discount such as a trade or fleet discount or the vehicle is not subject to GST, the dutiable value is the negotiated price.
In any other case, the dutiable value is whichever is the greater:
- the vehicle's market value including accessories at the date of the transaction; or
- the vehicle's market value including accessories at the date of transfer.
An arm's length transaction as a general rule is made in good faith between parties with independent interests (eg. between a dealer and a member of the public). Typically, the parties are not related and do not have any business connections.
For more information refer to the following brochures:
How to use this calculator
- Enter the dutiable value of the motor vehicle without using commas (,) or full stops (.) (eg. 25000)
- Click on the "Calculate" button and the duty will automatically be calculated.
- To restart, click on the "Reset" button.
- To print the result, click on the "Print" button.